Wednesday, January 20, 2010

EXECUTIVE WOMEN NETWORKING

Happy New Year!! Similar to Mike, I am ready to blog again. Hope you are all ready to read and comment.

Last week, I went out to dinner and to see a play with a group of 25 business women. We had a great time and I made several good contacts. This evening of fun came about as a plan one night while I was out to dinner. Anita, Cindy and I were having dinner to discuss some Shelter Our Sisters business. Anita began to recommend a play to us that she had recently seen. Cindy made the comment that it would be a fun girls night out to go see the play. We each began to ask friends if they were interested and the next thing we knew it had grown to 25 women. Thank goodness Anita was willing to do all the coordination. Since every woman was invited, there was a level of trust that does not exist when you attend a formal "networking" event. I made three very good contacts that I believe can help me in my business and two contacts that I believe I can help in their business. That is a very successful night especially when you consider I was only there to have fun and see a great show. By the way, dinner and the show were great.

For those of you that have been following the blog for some time, you know that I am a recent convert to the idea that women should network to create the "old girls club". I am not suggesting that women should exclude men from their networks or in anyway be unfair or biased. However, I have recently come to realize that women should add networking with other women to their other connections. However, I have been struggling with how to do this in a way that works for me. Personally, I find formal networking organizations too forced and artificial for my taste. The other night, I found what works for me. Small, personal, social events that assist in connecting some of the women in each of three women's networks to one another. It was great!

While I am writing about women networks, this can be applied to any group. So get a friend or two and plan a social evening doing something you enjoy. Then each of you invites a few of your friends and the group grows. The night of the event, just let everyone meet one another! Simple but effective.

Until Next Time,
Gail

No comments:

Post a Comment