Monday, April 20, 2009

SUSAN BOYLE AND LEADERSHIP


Have you seen some of the YouTube postings on Susan Boyle? View this now! You won't be able to watch it only once and you will search YouTube for the follow-on press reports and interviews.

There is so much in this video, I don't know where to start and I certainly don't know where to end. It was inspirational. It was courageous. It was a lesson for leaders to judge people on what they bring to the table, not how they look or dress. It was about giving people a chance. It was about being yourself not anyone else. It was about the purposelessness of being cynical.

Gail and I were recently questioned about 'fear' at a recent conference. One of the attendees spoke of the fear of doing something. We responded that all humans, and therefore all leaders, have fears. Leaders acknowledge the fears and move ahead to achieve their goals. Susan Boyle moved ahead to achieve her goal.

By the way, were you able to keep a dry eye viewing the video?

Cheers, Mike

4 comments:

  1. Absolutely agree on the lessons to be learned.

    I am too cynical and she was too fantastic for me to believe that was not staged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anon, great answer!! Made me laugh. If it was staged, we should hear about it soon. Hard to keeps secrets in today's information driven world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. finally posting- have been vacant trying to live my dream- inspired by Susan Boyle and Mike's post!! I have acknowledged my fears and moving on!
    Cheers!
    mwhip

    ReplyDelete
  4. CW, welcome aboard. Very courageous, however, I think you have been more courageous than most people I know. Cheers

    ReplyDelete