Friday, January 23, 2009

ENGLAND'S POUND - THE DOLLAR'S FUTURE

I don't know about you, but I am fascinated by the incredible volatility in the US dollar vs the Euro and the UK pound. In July, the pound was at $2.00. Since then, it has been crazy. It is currently at $1.39! And many pundits think it is going lower.


While that is making London a desired location to visit again, it does give one pause as to where the dollar is going. Check out this article from the WSJ Europe.



The dollar has strengthened over the past 6 months due to fear. The world has flocked to the dollar for safety. If you ask me, it isn't because the US is strong, it is because there is no other currency large enough for everyone to hide. This means the dollar is a bubble. I fear it will be ugly when everyone piles out of it. And lately, the world moves in tandem.

Cheers, Mike

2 comments:

  1. Mike:
    I marvel at your energy, insights and facility with "tech tools". I agree that the strength of the buck (the least bad of the world'd currency stock) is temporary. I believe the only safe play is GOLD! If Bretton Woods is back on the drawing board, then a new version af the "gold standard" can't be far behind. Good luck with your Blog - lefties are in, at least for the next few years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to a fellow lefty. At some point I will blog that the current president is lefty and so is McCain. In fact six of the last twelve presidents have been left-handed.

    ReplyDelete